Get the most recent financial accounting and reporting updates, changing regulations, industry trends and best practices that affect the restaurant industry.
Restaurant financial executives, Big 4 leaders and industry experts will show you the most effective ways to overcome the challenges you face every day.
• The direction of financial reporting and US regulations for the restaurant industry
• Recent accounting developments
• Frequently encountered accounting issues relevant to restaurant companies
• Update on the impact of health care reform
• Social media and managing risks
• Recent SEC comment letters pertaining to the restaurant industry
• Deal-making in the industry
• Government affairs affecting the restaurant industry
• Business tax reform: what happens next?
• Use of data analytics in the restaurant industry
• Analyst’s perspective on the restaurant industry
• Best practices in restaurant cost management
• Audit committee issues roundtable discussion
LEARNING OBJECTIVE This specialized conference will apprise you of the most recent financial accounting and reporting updates,
changing regulations, industry trends and best practices that affect the restaurant industry.
PREREQUISITE None. ADVANCE PREPARATION None. PROGRAM LEVEL Update. NASBA FIELD OF STUDY Accounting.
DELIVERY METHOD Group-Live.
This program is also available via live webcast
Webcast - Restaurant Industry Accounting & Reporting Update Conference 2013
DAY ONE AGENDA*
Deluxe Continental Breakfast & Registration
8:00 – 8:45 AM
Welcome & Opening Remarks
8:45 – 9:00 AM
Setting the Tone: The Direction of Financial Reporting & US Regulations for the Restaurant Industry
9:00 – 9:30 AM
Recent Accounting Developments
9:30 – 10:30 AM
• FASB/IASB projects update
• SEC recent developments
• Public company accounting update
10:30 – 10:45 AM
Frequently Encountered Accounting Issues Relevant to Restaurant Companies
10:45 AM – 12:00 PM
This session will focus on complex and challenging accounting and SEC reporting topics that are frequently encountered by accounting professionals serving the restaurant industry.
12:00 – 1:00 PM
Update on the Impact of Health Care Reform
1:00 – 2:30 PM
• Current status
• Expected impact on industry
• Mitigation strategies
2:30 – 2:45 PM
Social Media & Managing Risks
2:45 – 3:30 PM
• World of social media marketing (“Wild West”)
• Responsibly engaging with consumers
• Social media missteps
• Protecting the company’s reputation
• Enhancing the efficiency of digital efforts
• Continuing evolution of social media engagement
Recent SEC Comment Letters Pertaining to the Restaurant Industry
3:30 – 4:30 PM
• Key SEC staff messages
• Current issues impacting restaurant companies
• Past areas of SEC staff focus
• Potential outcomes of a comment letter
• How does a review result in enforcement investigation?
• Best practices footnote disclosures
• Responding to the staff
Deal-Making in the Industry
4:30 – 5:15 PM
• Overview of general M&A market
• M&A activity in the restaurant industry
• Economic rationale for M&A in 2014 and beyond
• M&A process
• M&A best practices
5:15 – 6:15 PM
DAY TWO AGENDA*
Deluxe Continental Breakfast
7:45 – 8:30 AM
8:30 – 8:45 AM
Government Affairs Affecting the Restaurant Industry
8:45 – 10:15 AM
• Legislative initiatives regarding nutritional content and disclosure
• Food safety concerns
• Immigration issues
• Minimum wage considerations
10:15 – 10:30 AM
Business Tax Reform: What Happens Next?
10:30 – 11:45 AM
Use of Data Analytics in the Restaurant Industry
11:45 AM – 12:30 PM
12:30 – 1:15 PM
Analyst’s Perspective on the Restaurant Industry
1:15 – 2:00 PM
• The analytic process
• Pertinent data and measurements used to determine the rating outlook of restaurant companies
• Analyst predictions of the restaurant sector
Best Practices in Restaurant Cost Management
2:00 – 3:00 PM
• How restaurant margins are being squeezed
• Reducing costs of goods sold through the new Total Value Chain approach
• Utilizing enterprise profitability approach to decrease SG&A and increase profits
• Identifying and utilizing operational lever to reduce costs
• How to empower your company to manage costs better in the future
3:00 – 3:15 PM
Audit Committee Issues Roundtable Discussion
3:15 – 4:15 PM
Closing Remarks & Q&A Session
4:15 – 4:30 PM
* PLEASE NOTE: Session times are subject to change. Please call 1-800-544-1114 for specific agenda details.
Dennis Parrott, Managing Partner, KPMG LLP, is an Audit Partner and serves as the firm’s Orange County office Managing Partner. He is the lead Audit Engagement Partner for various Fortune 500 multinational clients specializing in the restaurant sector including CKE Restaurants, Johnny Rockets, Morton’s, PepsiCo, P.F. Chang’s, Ruby Tuesday, Texas Roadhouse, Vons and Yum! Brands. He has served as lead Audit Partner on numerous IPOs, secondary offerings, spin-offs, acquisitions, divestitures and debt offerings. Previously, Mr. Parrott was the National Industry Director for KPMG’s Restaurant practice for seven years.
Paul Fultz, Managing Partner, KPMG LLP, is an Audit Partner with over 20 years of experience with the firm. He is the Managing Partner of the Louisville office and the National Restaurant Segment Leader for the firm. He serves as a technical resource to KPMG’s restaurant and food service clients providing guidance on industry trends and restaurant and food service-specific accounting and auditing issues, including SEC industry hot buttons. Previously, Mr. Fultz was a Partner and Manager for YUM! Brands. He has also worked for clients such as CBIZ, hhgregg, O’Charley’s, PharMerica, ResCare, Ruby Tuesday and Texas Roadhouse. He has served as Engagement Partner on IPOs, as well as secondary stock and bond offerings.
Jot Condie, President, California Restaurant Association
Troy Edgar, CEO, Global Conductor
Harry Gutman, Principal, KPMG LLP
John Hair, Director, Risk and Compliance Services, KPMG LLP
Dean Heyl, Senior Director, State Government Relations, Public Policy & Tax Counsel, International Franchise Association
No results found.
No results found.
CPE INC. has reserved a block of rooms at preferential rates. To make your hotel reservation,
call CPE INC. or the hotel’s reservation department and ask for the CPE INC. special room rate.
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
One Ritz-Carlton Drive
Dana Point, CA 92629